Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The brown garden snail in an Australian Backyard


Welcome fellow Petit-Gris enthusiasts to my blog, inside you will find my meanderings into the world of Heliculture. Heliculture is the act of farming the Petit-Gris (or common garden snail to us in Australia) on mass to supply the every growing market.

Heliculture is currently still a niche profitable market in Australia, with an abundant demand, a quota not met for fresh un-preserved local product and an industry wanting not shunning new breeders.


After researching the subject for some time I feel whats suits myself to the application, is that Heliculture is still in its infancy in the country. This allows one possibly limitless boundaries to experiment with growing enclosures, bring something new and do things a little differently.

Read on as I try my hand at this new fascinating industry, all from my suburban Sydney backyard. Did I mention I have never tried a snail, yep we will conquer that battle when we get there.

Now off to find some snails...


No comments:

Post a Comment