Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Collecting starting snails

Here is the easy bit (well the collecting part atleast, one would think to themselves), the selection of suitable breeders is an art unto itself.
The initial thought is that your garden will have a magnitude of these trail leavers around it, depending on the season this may or may not be the case. Several factors will come into play determining the likelihood of a copious snail population.
These include- Weather, Temperatures, Rainfall, Season, Vegetative growth, Predators and the use of Insecticides in the area.
After some exhaustive searching around my own home, I came up empty handed, ziltch, nada, not a one. Even with damp wet conditions with recent rain none had emerged. Still determined I set out (with the dog for cover) to inspect the neighborhood.

I was not having much luck until I remembered as a child, the snails we would find amongst the agapanthas at home. With due haste I proceeded to fish out snails from the agapanthas on the verge of properties. Not the quantities I was hoping for (4 mature + 10 immature) but is enough to get started.
After checking the lot over, there fortunately seems to be two matures that have a nice lighter tone to their flesh, a trait I have read is desired. A none patterned/lightly patterned shell is also a preference.

Initially it is fine to place your breeding stock in a container with 3cm of soil on the bottom a dish of water and some cabbage or carrot.

I am a bit concerned about having them in a plastic container, though many say it is ok, some feel plastic is not the best option. As soon as I can get a decent population going I will set about making a run on the ground in the backyard. For the moment they are in the cool down the side of the house, I have been giving them more food daily and spritzing them with the hose to keep things moist.
It is amazing to watch them awake as the water seems to dissolve the hard coating they create, as soon as they become damp they all spring to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment