Thursday, January 19, 2012

A moral dilemma...



I am sure any farmer has issues arising with the final stages of production (the killing that is), I did not however imagine that snails had a very high sensory and interaction level with external stimuli. As another hobby I have done/do a whole heap of macro/micro insect photography. I am fascinated especially with insects of a high order interaction, my favourites being common jumping spiders and common brown AU Bull ants. Both have a high interaction level with their environment and respond to human presence making them intriguing to observe.

After only a few days I have found myself bonding with these creatures, as I mentioned before I was not at all expecting this. I have read others blogs/articles of this nature in which the outcome, was releasing the snails as good conscious and an affection for the creatures prevailed.

I am a meat eater, I know where and how my meat is bought to my table, I am not really proud of this but I am what I am.
If I was to meet the cattle I am eating and be allowed to bond, I do not think then I would be able to consume them. My snails seem to have a variety of characters, in fact I have started to name them. How else do you remember which one is which?

I think I need to decide whether I am breeding pets or consumable food here, atm due to my limited space I would be happy to get a few nice examples to breed from at least.
I have also been looking for cheapish ag land on which I could start a small hobby farm, if anyone knows of something near Sydney please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment